Elliptical machines are a great option for those who must do cardio workouts. Unlike running, they have a low impact on your joints, which makes them suitable for individuals with bad knees.
Also, the elliptical machines you can find in every gym are great for those who have suffered injuries in the lower part of their body. They are often recommended by physicians due to their monitoring abilities and very low impact.
If you want to train daily but you don’t have time to go to a gym, you can buy an elliptical machine for home use. There are various models to choose from, for any preferences and budget.
What to look for in a good elliptical machine?
Elliptical machines are often affordable and can be used by almost everyone. It is worth investing in such fitness equipment if you want to have a healthy routine and look better.
Modern elliptical machines are designed to make it easier for users to track their activity and monitor their health conditions.
Except for the digital features and the long list of sensors these machines have, there are other things that one should consider when buying an elliptical machine, too.
The size is important if you have a limited space that you can use for this kind of activities.
You need enough space in order to train using an elliptical and you should also consider placing it in a room with higher ceilings.
Due to past unfortunate experiences, almost all manufacturers focus on safety features for these machines.
You should choose one who has it all, just to be sure that you and your family are safe when using it. Also, if you have small children you should think of a way of isolating the machine.
Also, the ergonomic features must be considered before buying an elliptical machine. The hand grips, the pedal positioning and the entire path should make you feel comfortable during training.
If you are buying it from a local shop, don’t hesitate to try it first.
In today’s world, connectivity matters a lot. It allows us to keep in touch with friends and family, to transfer data, to multitask and to keep ourselves connected to the events around us even when we are training.
Fitness equipment manufacturers build elliptical machines with those ideas in mind, which is why you should be able to find one with an iPod dock, a USB port or an internet connection.
If you‘re planning to buy such a machine for home use, make sure that it is adjustable.
You will probably not be the only one who wants to use it and some members of your family can be more advanced than others. Those who want to work out harder and use an incline should be able to do it.
It all looks pretty and simple so far, but you also have to consider the technical side of things. How easy it is to assemble and disassemble an elliptical machine is important if you know you will be moving in the future.
These machines weigh a lot and they must be disassembled for maintenance, too. Before buying one, make sure that it is easy to put it together.
Lastly, don’t forget about the warranty. No matter how awesome an elliptical seems, it will wrack your nerves if something goes wrong and it is not covered by warranty. If you can find one with full warranty, that’s great. If not, at least try to find one that is covered for at least 2 years.
Do you really need an elliptical machine?
As previously said, elliptical machines can be used by almost anyone. They help you build a healthy and balanced routine and will also help you lose weight and look gorgeous.
However, not everyone thinks they are useful. Here’s how you will know that the elliptical machine is ideal for you:
- You have bad knees
- You get tired really fast when running
- You need a cardiovascular training
- You like to be able to track your activity, heart rate, pulse and program your workouts
- You need fitness equipment that is safe
- Everyone in your house wants to train almost daily
- You need to be able to work out at home
- You like to multitask
- You enjoy using gadgets while training, listening to music or watching TV
If you checked at least 6 of the statements above, then you need to buy an elliptical machine.
If you need a reassurance that this is the best option for your needs, here are a few advantages that you will get when using one:
- Elliptical machines are suitable for individuals of all ages
- Are great for cardio workouts
- Have the ability to improve your stamina
- A 30-minute workout is more than enough
- It helps you lose weight
- It helps you shape all your muscles
- You can do interval trainings
- You can work out more muscles when pedaling backwards
- It can be used both when you are a beginner and an advanced trainee
- Your energy level doesn’t need to be sky-rocketing
- It helps you recover from injuries
- You can read while training
- You get to burn up to 400 calories per hour, sweat and help your body detoxify
- It doesn’t exhaust you like running does
- Comparing to treadmills, they don’t require that much space
Bonus: Beginner Elliptical Workout
This workout lasts 35 minutes and can be done by everyone who is not in very good physical shape:
- Pedal for 3 minutes, resistance 3
- Pedal for 2 minutes, resistance 5
- Pedal fast for 5 minutes, resistance 5
- Pedal for 5 minutes backwards, resistance 7
- Pedal for 5 minutes, resistance 7
- Pedal fast for 2:30 minutes, resistance 7
- Pedal for 2:30 minutes, resistance 7
- Pedal for 5 minutes without hands, resistance 5
- Pedal for 5 minutes, resistance 3 and cool down
This workout can be personalized and changed at any time. If you are a complete beginner and can’t finish it, don’t worry. Just try it again the next day.