A leg press might seem like a piece of equipment that you only see at your local gym, but if you’re into strength training it can be a worthwhile investment for your own home gym as well.
Before you go ordering the first leg press you see on Amazon, let’s take a closer look at what you should be looking for in a press machine, and what you should avoid at all costs.
This article will serve as a guide to a potential home gym owner, who not only wants the best leg workout machine but also wants a guide on how to choose the perfect one. Before now most of these workout machines could only be found in commercial gyms but presently thanks to technology and evolution, these machine manufacturers believe it is better to construct smaller equipment for personal and home use.
When getting a solid leg press machine for your home, it can be confusing to choose the best out of the hundreds of machines out there. With fitness machine makers claiming that theirs is the best, an individual could end up buying something that is not worth the money spent.
We’ll also take a close look at some of the many leg presses that are available on the market today and see what sets them apart from the pack and what makes them different than the machines that you might find at a gym.
The Top 8 Best Leg Press Machines 2020
The Body Solid Leg Press Hack Squat machine is a 45 degree incline leg press machine that provides you with a quad track roller system. That means that you get a great track system with an extremely smooth motion. You also get a full range of motion that is knee friendly. The diamond foot plate provides you with a very secure pressing platform. An instant adjustment allows you to flip from a press to a hack squat.
The Body Solid Leg Press provides you with some great safety features, including three lockout positions that ensure that you’ll never get stuck. The back and shoulder padding is a massive four inches thick and is covered in tear and sweat resistant double stitched Durafirm.
- Leg press and hack squat
- Quad track roller system
- 4 inch thick padding
- Foot plate is a little narrow.
The Powertec Leg Press is a 45 degree horizontal machine that is very solidly built, providing you with a maximum leg press weight of 1000 pounds. It has four weight horns. It has a large, oversized diamond foot plate to provide multiple foot placement options. This model is a reduced footprint of Powertec’s previous leg press, with 4 inches reduced on each side, making it ideal for confined spaces.
The Powertec press has safety in mind with large, easy to operate safety levers within easy reach on either side. If you can’t get the weight up, the safety’s will provide an easy out. A revolutionary carriage system ensures a smooth, fluid motion through a full range. Thick padding and a stylish matt black finish complete the look.
- 1000 pound weight capacity
- Reduced footprint
- Safety levers
- Footplate is a little slippery
The Powerline PVLP156X leg press is a budget machine that provides you with a vertical press. A vertical leg press machine puts your lower back in a slightly compromised position, but it does a good job of isolating your thighs and hamstrings. Safety is covered with dual adjustable three inch locking pins. You can also adjust the machine to any of three stop / start positions.
The Powerline PVLP156X is made from solid steel tubing to provide a sturdy base to push from. It has a 400 pound weight capacity. Three one inch diameter weight posts allow for an even weight distribution. Adaptor sleeves to allow for Olympic plates are sold separately. Nylon bushings ensure a fluid, natural motion as the weight travels along the track.
- Well priced
- Three weight posts
- Nylon bushes
- Puts lower back in a compromised position
The Body Solid Leverage horizontal plate loaded leg press features a direct drive system which provides the most fluid, functional pressing motion of any home unit we have encountered. The foot plate is oversized and has the ability to pivot so you can get the ideal foot placement. The dual self aligning, one and a half inch linear bearing seat carriage is designed to fit all body types. The back support is also fully adjustable and generously padded.
The two inch by three inch heavy gauge steel framing of this horizontal leverage leg press machine provides rugged strength and durability. Sealed ball bearing pivot points provide a very smooth carriage ride throughout an entire range of motion. Weight plate holders provide convenient plate storage while adding to the machine’s stability.
- Direct drive carriage system
- Dial self aligning kinera seat carriage
- Heavy gauge steel framing
Adjustable, thickly padded shoulder pads accommodate a range of user heights without having to extend the framing. That makes this a very compact unit, ideal for home use. The industrial grade linear bearings will never flatten or wear out.
The large diamond foot plate easily folds away to allow for hack squats. It is also adjustable to provide a range of pressing angles. This machine is designed to be used with Olympicplates. It is finished in a stylish grey scratch resistant powder coating. The BodyCraft F660comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Max weight of 1000 pounds
- Leg press and hack squat
- Thick, adjustable shoulder pads
- Industrial grade linear bearings
- Difficult to assemble
The Powerline BSGLPX is an optional leg press attachment for the BSG10X home gym from Powerline. Although it is only compatible with this one model, it does provide an easy to fit leg press option that is solid and reliable. The fact that it fits onto a complete home gym system makes this a very cost effective and compact home gym option. The weight stack on the home gym goes up to 160 pounds.
The Powerline BSGGLPX provides a smooth range of motion, though taller people may not be able to get a full extension of the thigh. It features quality cabling and bushes that ensure a fluid gliding motion. This product comes with a 10 year warranty.
- Fits to home gym
- Cost effective option
- Smooth range of motion
- Weight stack limited to 160 pounds
This is the second best home gym equipment that has been tested out so far. If you cannot afford to get a Body Solid Leg Press, you might want to consider getting this beast. It is similar to the former in many ways than one. People who used this machine observed that it is not exactly as awesome as Body Solid, but it also packs a punch.Pros
- Its sleek design ensures that stress is eased away from the knees while using this machine.
- It comes with a back padding, very well stitched and three inches thick, offering reasonable protection for your back.
- The steel footplate is wide enough for any size of feet to work with it comfortably.
- It comes with both standard and Olympic weight bars.
- It has heavy-duty stoppers, which are very important for a machine that works vertically.
- The grade eight rollers mounted on it makes it easier for gliding of the parts as they go up and down.
- It is not complicated at all like other leg press machines. Just set it up, and you’re good to go.
- If you live in a place where you have to share walls with a neighbor, or a neighborhood where people live in proximity to each other, then it is important to note that vertical leg presses are noisy equipment and this one is not an exception. So, you would have to lubricate it as often as possible, to keep the noise to a minimum, if you are considering getting one.
- If the roller bolts are over tightened, the machine will not work very smoothly, and if not tight enough, there could be serious accidents. Therefore, the bolts have to be tightened just right.
- Unlike most vertical workout equipment, this one is a bit wide, and so, takes up more floor space than is necessary.
- There is no separate neck rest, so if you are working out on a rough surface, a pillow is very advisable.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Supports standard and olympic weight bars.
- Has padding three inches thick.
In all, it is a great equipment. If you want a leg press without fuss, then invest in the Premier Leg Press.
This equipment is not just awesome; it takes versatility to a whole new level. Following the Body Solid Leg Press and Premier Vertical Leg Press closely; it is the kind of machine that fitness buffs would not take for granted. After a session on this machine, its given that anyone who takes body fitness seriously would love it. What’s more, it comes equipped with a leg press as a bonus.Pros
- It’s a space saver. This is because it comes with many other workout equipments attached. If you are just starting to equip your home gym, then this is a good choice as you would not need to buy many other small equipments that you will be needing for your home gym setup.
- The machine is built in such a way that a user can easily upgrade it as they become stronger with their workouts. The weight stack that comes with it is only 160 pounds, but it can take a weight stack of up to 210 pounds. Therefore, you can start out small and gradually stack it up as you go.
- In addition to its numerous tiny inbuilt equipment, this beauty comes with two workout benches that you can adjust and work on your arms and abdomen as well.
- The benches and back rest are all well padded, guaranteeing comfort while you sweat it out.
- Ultimately, if you are looking to build a home gym that is comprehensive, look no further. This machine will give you that.
- It is an expensive machine. If you are on a budget, then this machine is not for you, unless you are determined to save up for a while.
- This machine would be an overkill if you already have other equipment in your home gym. Moreover, considering that it costs a lot, would be a waste of money too.
- The machine has several stations for different kinds of workouts. They include:
- High Pulley Station: For triceps press downs among other high pulley workouts.
- Functional Pulley Station: For converging pulleys and exercises that have to do with the consistent and smooth resistance of muscles involved.
- Low Pulley Station: For lower lats exercises, abduction and adduction of the legs, upright rows, and cable curls.
- Mid Pulley Station: For abdominal crunches, triceps exercises and sculpting the areas of the abdomen.
- Multi Press Arms: For chest workouts and development of the chest muscles. Also, the seats can be adjusted according to an individual’s height.
- Ten years warranty for the frame and one year warranty for the parts.
- Workout benches included.
- There is an allowance to stack additional leg press, for those who want increased resistance.
- It is compact; saving space.
However, if you want more value for your money and have little or no equipment of your own already, then the Powerline Home Gym would be an excellent choice.
Budget Is Necessary
Being fit is good for the health, but your pocket has to be considered when setting up your personal gym. There are a lot of expensive fitness equipment out there, as well as cheap ones. However, the fact remains that, to get the best or something close, you would have to spend more than pocket change. Look at how much you are able to afford before making a choice. Thankfully, one or two of the above machines are quite affordable.
Take Note of Space
It would not feel good to buy a machine that takes up space meant for other equipment. If you have a small garage or home gym space, either go for a narrow or compact machine, or one like the Powerline Home Gym that has other inbuilt equipment.
Reviews Are Important
That is the reason why this review was created; to help you make a good choice. With reviews, you will get a feel of what you want to buy, consider the pros and cons, and check out their specifications. Also, knowing which ones have the best reviews would help narrow down your choice(s.)
In conclusion, though people have their opinions of what the solid best leg press machines are, your preferences have to come first. Go for what you want and can afford and keep to stay healthy and fit.